General Questions
Are these classes right for me?
The Foundation Course of Study is up to a year of fundamental art education, intended for students looking to become better artists, build a well-rounded portfolio, or lay the groundwork for further education in digital production or a related field. Whether this training is appropriate for you depends on your prior experience as well as your personal development goals. We recommend speaking with an Admissions Advisor to determine if this is the right path for you.
What are the enrollment requirements?
Students looking to enroll individual courses within the Foundation studies must have a High School diploma or equivalent. Gnomon’s classes are intended for students 18 years of age or above. Individuals who are 17 may be considered for the Foundation in Art & Design as long as they turn 18 years of age within 90 days of the start of their course and present a GPA of 3.0 or above on High School transcripts. Please visit the How to Enroll section for more information.
I don’t have a portfolio. Can I still enroll?
Yes-- you do not need a portfolio. However, we recommend speaking with an Admissions advisor to ensure the courses will be appropriate for you based on your skill level and goals.
Do I need to be apply and be accepted?
Students who meet the enrollment requirements may enroll in the Foundation—there is no formal process of admission. Please visit the How to Enroll section for more information.
When can I start?
You may start the Foundation at the beginning of any of our four quarterly terms: Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall. For more information, please see the Academic Calendar.
What does the daily/weekly schedule look like?
Students take 4 classes at a time. Each class meets once per week for 10 consecutive weeks. The days and times of the classes vary each quarter, and are non-negotiable.
Do I receive grades for the classes? Will I be required to do homework?
Yes—the Foundation is made up of College-level classes. These courses include classwork, homework, and grades.
What is the class capacity for courses in the Foundation?
Gnomon caps classroom size at 18 students for all courses.
Do I get a diploma?
No. Individual courses within the Foundation are intended for artistic development and do not provide a diploma or certificate.
Do I have to take all four quarters?
While the Foundation is designed to be taken in four consecutive quarters, the sections are modular and can be taken individually. You can speak with an Admissions Advisor for more information regarding attending a single term of the Foundation.
Will I be industry-ready when I finish the Foundation? Can I get a job?
The Foundation is intended for foundational artistic growth and is not intended to produce production-ready artists.
Will credits transfer from the Foundation to Gnomon’s full-time programs?
Yes. Specific courses taken within this course of study are transferrable to Gnomon’s BFA Degree and Certificate programs. For more information, contact
Is financial aid available?
Since the Foundation in Art & Design is comprised of individual courses and is not a program, Federal Student Aid is not available. However, private education loans are available and can cover tuition and estimated living expenses. Interested students may contact the Financial Aid Office for more details.
Are scholarships available?
Scholarships are not currently available for the Foundation.

Academic Documents
What does “official transcript” mean?
A transcript is official if it;

a) bears the authorizing signature and the official seal of the issuing institution and is sent directly by the school or college to the Admissions office;


b) is sealed in a school or college envelope and mailed or delivered to Admissions by the individual. br If you open the envelope, the transcript is no longer official. Gnomon also accepts electronic transcript submission. | Records from schools abroad must be originals, official, and in the native language, accompanied by official English translations.
I was homeschooled or otherwise do not possess a traditional High School education. What are my alternatives?
Gnomon will accept passing scores from either the GED, HiSET, TASC, or CHSPE exams for equivalency. For more information on approved academic documents, you may contact our Admissions department at